How robust is your health and safety management system?
When was the last time that you audited your health and safety processes?
If you’re not sure or you don’t know, then you need health and safety support.
From February 2016, successful convictions brought against employers and business owners for health and safety failings have incurred much higher fines and penalties. A total of £38.3 million in the first year. All employers must have a suitable and sufficient risk assessments. Where there are more than five employees, all health and safety procedures must be written down. Every business must reduce risks of injury and ill health and set out a clear Safe System of Work (SSW) for people to be able to follow.
All sound straight forward? In theory it is, however, getting the system into place at the outset is only the first step in creating a lasting culture of safety in the workplace. Where it can fall down is that the SSW’s are not accessible to the workforce, they are not used for consistent training and they gather dust on the office shelf… and that’s locked to keep the staff out!
It can be a daunting task to start to put a health and safety manual together from the beginning, but I doubt that many businesses have nothing in place. So what is there can be built upon, so that it not only complies with the Health and Safety at Work Act. 1974, but also is the tool to train and educate directors, senior managers, supervisors and staff alike.
Who’s got the time for all this, I hear you ask? That’s where I can help. As an experienced and qualified specialist in health and safety, I can help your business become compliant. We can work together to put in place a system that works for your specific business and industry needs. Here’s an outline of what I can do for you.
- Create a company specific health and safety policy
- Design a Health and Safety Management System for your business
- Identify your work activities that may cause harm
- Identify and assess the risks
- Establish risk controls and set out safe systems of work for the high risk activities
- Support and train managers, supervisors and H&S reps to assist in compliance
- Train all employees in their relevant SSW’s and company policy
- Train all employees in health and safety in the workplace
- Regular reviews and audit throughout the year
- Ad-hoc advice and support throughout the year
Call 0161 298 1040 now to discuss and arrange a free first assessment visit or complete the contact form.
Take part in a Level 5 Health and Safety Rating Scheme for your business. If you are an SME with up to 50 employees, call today and let’s get the ball rolling. There’s no time to lose. Call 0161 298 1040